Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Meow.

Hello there. It's me. The cat. I've been very busy around the maypole, checking out the new digs. I realized the woman was the one most wary of my existence in this house, and I set to work right away winning her over. If everyone is sitting down, it's HER lap I crawl in to. I purr and tuck my nose under her arm. I've managed to not bother her allergies at all, which is a feat in and of itself. She thinks it's adorable when I sleep under the Christmas Tree, so I've been sure to do that a lot.
I have had to hide out a bit, what with the 3 extra children who were visiting wanting to pick me up and carry me around all the time. But I resisted the urge to growl or bite them when they did, and even showed great restraint when they tried to push me around in the doll stroller. Fortunately the bigger people usually come to my rescue fairly quickly.

I use the litter box (except for one minor incident my first day which I refuse to discuss, except to say that the original location of my litter box was not ideal, but the people have moved it and it's all better now). I eat the food they give me. I stay off the table and the counters. Mostly.

I do have to keep them on their toes, though. I snuck outside today, but trust me, I have no intention of running away. I know I have it good here. I just wanted to see what was behind that door. But I came back and meowed outside the door, and they were baffled to find me out there. Had no idea I was missing, or how I got out. And no, I won't tell you my secret. He he. Like I said, it's good to keep them on their toes.

They have finally come up with a name for me. The naming was a rather arduous process, and the two older people were writing down quite a list of possibilities. I am glad that they rejected Gwain. And Meow Meow, which the child suggested. That would have been humiliating. After a rather scientific process which involved a point system and several tiers of voting they have decided to name me Shakespeare. The big guy said this was appropriate, since I am the woman's cat (me having chosen her as my preferred human, and all). I'm not entirely sure what he meant by this, but I do know that being named is good. It means they plan to keep me.

28 comments:

amanda said...

Welcome Shakespeare! It sounds like you may have the same magical powers Princess Piglet has here. May your new home be all you and the humans hope it will be...

Kellan said...

Shakespeare is a marvelous name! Our oldest cat (and indoor/outdoor cat) is a yellow tabby that is about 3 years old. His name is Garfield. He disappeared Christmas day and we hadn't seen him since - until late last night he showed back up as if nothing had happened. We imagine that some old lady in our neighborhood had taken him in (as he seemed well nourished and his fur was sleek and clean) and somehow he managed to escape to come back home to us - we were so happy! I liked this story about your new cat - we have 3 a love all of them. I'm Kellan, BTW - very nice to meet you. Happy New Year and I hope to see you soon.

Rima said...

Awe, what an appropriate name! I'm glad Shakespeare has found a home around the maypole.

thailandchani said...

Shakespeare is a wonderful name! And you already have the cat trained to write blog posts for you. :)

Beck said...

Lucky you! Not one of my two cats is anywhere near smart enough to blog for me, although they manage to pee on any wet towels without fail.

Mad said...

Not only blog for you but with that namesake to live up to, I would think his next post will be in rhyming couplets.

Great name.

Amanda said...

How delicious! I cannot wait to read more, both from the woman and the feline bard.

Julie Pippert said...

Great name and it appears everyone is settling in together nicely. :)

Julie
Using My Words

Don Mills Diva said...

Great name Shakespeare - I see you like to sit in exactly the smae spot as my cat!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I love it! Shakespeare is PERFECT. Our cat loved the same spot too this past month.

=^..^=

Kat said...

Now that is a pretty kitty! I am not much of a cat person (being allergic and all), but that cat makes me want to snuggle it.
Perfect name! Well done!

flutter said...

Oh welcome home, Shakespeare!

Loralee Choate said...

Dear Shakespeare,

MEOW! I love the name. So...What is a nice kitty like you doing under a tree like that?

You should totally come over sometime. I belong to a girl who is superglued to her laptop. Yes, HER.

She got me "Fixed" but I am lucky enough to be in the 1% that still goes into heat. SHE is lucky enough to have me remind her of this at 3 am ALL THE TIME.

I can get a little "Vocal". Serves her right for naming a female cat, Wilbur. They deserve what they get, in my humble opinion.

Anyway...Call me sometime.

Meow!

Wilbur the Cat

the dragonfly said...

Perfect! Absolutely perfect.

I'm so glad he doesn't bother your allergies, that is fantastic! When we lived with my mother-in-law for a short time I was always miserable, because one of her cats completely set me off. I essentially had to keep myself shut in the bedroom. I was, of course, seen as antisocial, but who cares, because I could breathe!

I can't wait to meet you, Shakespeare!

b*babbler said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that he is working out!

His name is perfect!!

Guinevere (our long-haired white cat) has an enormous crush and would love to join Shakespeare under the tree, naughty girl that she is!

Anonymous said...

I think that is a delightful name, and perfectly appropriate for a cat living in your happy abode.

Anonymous said...

Shakespeare, I'm so glad things are working out so well.

Badness Jones said...

Hey Shakespeare...welcome to the blogosphere! We knew they were gonna keep you - how could they not?

Kyla said...

Ahhh, I'm so happy for you all.

Family Adventure said...

I knew it!! Welcome, Shakespeare!

Heidi :)

thirtysomething said...

You did it. You got a cat. The name is PERFECT, could not have been more appropriate. Welcome to your newest addition!

Alex Elliot said...

Welcome Shakespeare! I'm surprised that you didn't try climbing the tree!

Jen said...

Great post and wonderful name! BTW... I got a Shakespeare action figure as a gag gift this year. He's standing proudly on my desk.

Mary Beth said...

Welcome Shakespeare - like there was any doubt after you entered the house and met the May Queen. I'm glad you found such a warm and friendly home!

Amy Y said...

Nice to meet you, Shakespeare! You are beautiful and it sounds like you have found your home... :)

Magpie said...

What a nice cat! Glad to hear he's staying.

Victoria said...

Well, Hi there, Shakespeare! Happy New Year, PM!

Controlling My Chaos said...

I love it! The several tiered point system. What a hoot.