Friday, January 25, 2008

A Plague on My House

Today marks a first for me: the first time I ever missed a performance due to an illness.

I've performed with all manner of sniffles and coughs and low fevers and migraines (which I really don't recommend. The second the show was over I crawled into a corner backstage and pulled a coat up over my head). But this 102.6 fever, can't get out of bed, coughing up a lung thing? I had to call in sick.

I started feeling a bit under the weather Tuesday night, but forged ahead and did the performance for school kids on Wed. And what a performance it was! Yikes! We had to cut over an hour from the show, some of it cut on the fly in the middle of scenes, bells rang during the show, the fiddler ran into someone backstage and ended up with a bloody nose... I had some chest congestion and a wee bit of a cough, but I did OK. That night I went to practice with my praise band at church. That was probably pushing it a bit, but I never call in sick. I am a gal who forges ahead.

The next day I woke up and drove The May Queen to school. Then I returned home and crawled into bed. I didn't move until 2:30, when I had to go to the bathroom so badly I couldn't ignore it. So I did, had a brief bite to eat, and crawled back into bed until 6:30, when I had to get up and watch The May Queen and put her to bed at 7:30 while The Big Guy attended a meeting. At 8:30 the fever broke a bit and I managed to eat some leftover pizza and read some blogs, and was back in bed by about 10.

Today has been better. I managed to focus long enough to watch a movie. Make a phone call. But I can feel myself sliding back down into the rabbit hole. So it is back to bed for me.

Oh. And The Big Guy is sick, too. He's a day or two ahead of me in all this, so slightly better, but not much. We are a sad, sad pair. The May Queen is her usual energetic self. Shoot us now.

(oh, and I guess I should have expected this. Yesterday I had planned to spend the whole day scrapbooking. Why on earth did I think that would happen?)

32 comments:

shay said...

Oh no! That sucks so much!
I haven't had one of those knock you back on your heels kind of sick in almost two years. I think it always happens when you least have time for it.

I hope you get better soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that. So sorry, I really don't envy you your day in bed. Hope you recover in record time.

Kyla said...

Oh no. Winter is just terrible this year. The germs are in full force.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ugh... Hope it passes soon! That's not a "first" you're happy about, by any means.

Feel better.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ugh... Hope it passes soon! That's not a "first" you're happy about, by any means.

Feel better.

Julie Pippert said...

Sorry your plans were thwarted...feel better soon (for real!).

ewe are here said...

Oh no! That's terrible!

Feel better soon!

Chrissy said...

Hope you are able to get plenty of rest tonight. Get better soon!

Anonymous said...

What is it? Flu, cold? If it's a cold -- apple cider vinegar. If it's the flu, try tea with cinnamon...
I'm glad you got the rest...

Jen said...

Not good. I sure hope you BOTH feel better quickly. And remember, even the best moms have to resort to DVDs sometimes.

Girlplustwo said...

oh babe, i'm sorry. it's hard being a sick mama.

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you, I've never witnessed a season of greater illness. I'm almost ready to blame it on biological warfare. I'm so serious.

Anonymous said...

Yup, we too have a touch of the plague. Wishing you all better soon.
Best wishes

Candygirlflies said...

Oh, dear... So sorry.

You're so good to stay in bed and rest-- much better to give yourself time to recover completely, so you don't miss out on the remainder of the run. And avoid giving it to the rest of the cast... Oy, what a Fiddler that would be, with everyone sick as well as persecuted!!

On the up-side, you've alleviated a major guilt I've been carrying for years... I'm one of those deeply odd people who has NO PATIENCE for scrapbooking, and has not done anything but photo albums for my girlies all these years... I've been beating myself up for no reason, apparently, because CLEARLY, planning to scrapbook for an afternoon causes major illness in the household!!;-)

Love you-- feel better soon...

CGF xoxo

flutter said...

Oooooof! That totally stinks!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, fellow sickie. I've had four naps today. FOUR naps. And I was so sick I told the five year old school was cancelled -- just do I could stay in my pjs. I suck. And I don't even care! Hope we both mend SOON.

Run ANC said...

Oh no - missing a show? It must be bad. Get well soon.

S said...

oh, PM. i hope you're on the mend in no time!

Magpie said...

Ugh, feel better.

girlymom said...

~I hope you feel better soon- bummer about the performance, hopefully you can get some rest and be back at it again in no time.

Anonymous said...

I have never understood how people can perform while sick. I cannot sing while healthy, so sick sure ain't doin' it. Hope you are better soon!

Emily

Unknown said...

Oh no! I am so sorry!

Feel better soon, guys!

Mary Beth said...

Don't you wish you were playing a consumptive in the show? Hope you feel better soon!

Jennifer said...

Oh, no. Poor you. Feel better!!

Kristi B said...

Oh no! how horrible for you!
I hope you feel better soon!

Kat said...

Oh yuck, yuck. I'm so sorry to hear you are still sick. Now stop blogging and go get some rest! Feel better!

the dragonfly said...

Oh yuck! Hope you're feeling better soon, friend.

Zellmer said...

Here's hoping it's not the virus we've all had around here that hangs on for 3 freakin' weeks!
Hang in there.

Alex Elliot said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Rima said...

Feel better soon, PM.

Being sick is so much harder when you're a parent. I vaguely remember it being (kinda) fun when I could skip a day of work, but now it's just a headache.

JCK said...

Oh, man...so sorry you're so sick. Rima is right on with that pre-kids thing of it not being as bad before we were parents...Get well! We want to hear about more shenanigans onstage.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Feel better soon!!!