Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I only wish it were fiction

Oh dear friends. That last post... that movie synopsis about the musical with the legally blind director and unrehearsed scenes and unfinished sets, etc, etc, etc? Every last word of it true. Well, except the made for cable movie part of it. I haven't written much about the rehearsal process before this because, well... you know, if you don't have anything nice to say and all. It's been an exercise in patience, and frankly I'm not sure I'm getting a passing grade. I feared if I began blogging about it the post would turn into a huge long tirade, and so the movie synopsis form gave me just the right length to let you in on what's going on, without it turning into a rant. (Plus, although this blog is anonymous I have to know that anyone can stumble upon it at any time, and so I try not to be negative about people I know. I read a blog by an actress that I find fascinating... like watching a train wreck. I think "Who in their right mind would ever hire this girl again?") However, even with all that said, I still feel decently confident that it will be a good show. We have some really talented people involved, and the script and music are, as most of you know, just lovely. I cry during the last scene at every rehearsal, it's just so beautiful. And hence the name of the "movie," The Magic of Theatre. Because somehow it will all pull together by Saturday. It almost always does.

Yesterday Kathryn at Seeking Sanity awarded me this:

Thanks, Kathryn.

There are so many blogs that I read with authors who speak so powerfully that the roar of their words is felt around the world, but the person who first jumped to my mind to pass this on to was Jen at One Plus Two. Her blogging about her work with the homeless is some mighty powerful stuff indeed, and once you read her blog you will never look at a person on the street the same way again. She will change you.

And in case you just can't get enough Mardi Gras, check out I am Mardi Gras (and so can you!) at The Ambassador Returns for another great perspective.

24 comments:

Ambassador said...

Isn't it amazing how it all does come together, every time? My biggest lesson in theatre trust came a few years ago - I couldn't see where on earth the director was going with anything, he never reheared any pieces in sequence or context and it drove me insane!!

The show ran for 60 performances over 12 weeks and was seen by over 10,000. And to this day was the best show I've ever been a part of!

Break a Leg, kiddo!

Anonymous said...

COngrats! You do indeed have powerful words.

Don Mills Diva said...

It always works out. I work in film and it always amazes me how it just happens - magical.

Family Adventure said...

I was wondering whether it was real or now...I hope all goes well. Let us know!

Congrats on a well deserved award - and passing it on to Jen is the perfect choice! :)

Heidi

Bon said...

Oy. i just caught up with the MM now...not a cable movie? like, this is how your rehearsals are going? oh sister, i have nightmares like this.

i am sure you will shine through it all, but may i say, just for today, i don't envy you your theatre-ness.

much. :)

congrats on the award...well-deserved, and well-handed-off.

carrie said...

Congrats on the award - AND on the theater project! That's awesome, can't wait to hear how it goes!

And, I'm glad you got your mail! Enjoy! :)

ewe are here said...

Congratulations on the award - well deserved!

And I'm sure your cast will fall into line by Saturday and the show will be brilliant!

Julie Pippert said...

I had a feeling it was all for real. GOOD LUCK!!

And congrats to you on the award!

Amy Y said...

You hit the nail on the head with Jen, Mama.
Congrats on the award ~ you deserve it :)

Mary Alice said...

Congratulations on your blog award. What a nice one. Yes, and probably best never to burn bridges with a frustrated blog post.

thailandchani said...

I actually like your posts about theater. Having known someone a long time ago who was involved, the things you have to say are very similar to the things she used to say. :)

Good luck on Saturday. I'll look forward to your post about it.

Luisa Perkins said...

Congratulations on the Roar! It is richly deserved.

Rima said...

Congratulations on a well-deserved award, PM!

Suz said...

YAY for the reward and thank you for honoring Jen. I don't think that it's a stretch to say that she's not only changed my actions, but a bit about how I look at the world.

Unknown said...

Wow - I wish you all the best for the show - you sound amazingly patient and inspired despite all! Congrats on that awesome award.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, I know you have powerful words, but I'd still love to hear you "roar" in one of your plays as a live participant in the audience!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow, I hope all goes well. And congrats on your ROAR PM - well deserved!

Alex Elliot said...

Best of luck! I'm sure that it will be spectacular.

JCK said...

Congrats on the award!

Keeping It Real said...

Against all odds, the show must go on. BTW, I never made the audition for The Vagina Monologues. Chickened out.

Kat said...

You are very welcome.
I can't believe that was true! How in the world can someone direct a show with little kids and be legally blind? You must write some more posts on this!

Emily said...

Hi, MP.

I was given that same award but have had difficulty downloading the button to my blog. I need to try again and hurry up and give it away...

I laughed outloud when you asked me about The Artist's Way. That's the study I'm doing. Did you do it? Was it helpful?

Victoria said...

Congrats on your award! Yay! Your theater project scares me! LOL!

Girlplustwo said...

oh babe. thank you. xo