Saturday, January 5, 2008

Twelfth Night

or what you will

(and apparently what I will for this post is some random bits and pieces)

It's the Twelfth Day of Christmas, and for the first time ever, I think, my tree is still up. Ironically this Christmas was probably the earliest I ever put it up, too. It's still green and beautiful, and just recently started dropping needles. I'll take it down today, and it's a shame, too, because it was just this week that I discovered that with a slight rearranging of chairs my favorite place in the house is curled up in the arm chair beside the tree, with the lights shining, the ornaments peeking out from the branches, a book in my hand and cat in my lap. I've put all the rest of the decorations in the attic between yesterday and today (more slowly than planned since The May Queen didn't go back to class on Thursday due to a broken heater pump at the school). Sunday is Epiphany and we'll decorate for Carnival and Mardi Gras, which I'll write more about next week.
*****


The fantastic Allison over at Soccer Mom in Denial has suggested we all take some time away from blogging on Thursday, January 10th and make it a day to read. I'm taking her suggestion to heart, although I sure will miss my spot next to the Christmas Tree. My plan is to read Emma, by Jane Austen, because all you people have finally convinced me that my life is missing something for never having read a single one of her books. But I'll have to finish To Kill a Mockingbird first, because I hate having 2 novels going at one time, and having to choose which one to read! How I got to be 33 without having read To Kill a Mockingbird or any Jane Austen is beyond me, particularly since I took tons of lit classes in college.

************

Monday's Mission is to write a post in the form of a Thank You letter. As if you aren't writing enough of those after Christmas!

************

The May Queen likes to run through the house looking for the cat (much to the cat's mostly patient chagrin) calling "Shakespeare! Shakespeare!" Hearing that name from her tiny lips just makes me smile. Someday she will know the bard behind the name, and not just the feline, and will hopefully call out his name with the same enthusiasm. OK, a mom can dream, right?

Shakespeare's play Twelfth Night was written, it is said, at the request of Queen Elizabeth to be performed at a celebration on the Twelfth Day of Christmas. When I was in college a friend of mine and I always said we should play the separated twins, Viola and Sebastian, as we were nearly identical in height, hair, and build. In fact, at a party at his apartment once someone came up and tapped me on the shoulder, calling me by his name. She was a bit surprised when I turned around. I've long since lost touch with him (last I heard he was directing shows in the Chicago area) but still would love a chance to play Viola.

25 comments:

Family Adventure said...

We're taking down our Christmas stuff today, too. I'll miss the glow from the tree at night. But it's been taking itself down pretty good lately, what with all those needles on the floor, so it is definitely time!

All things still going well with Shakespeare, and no allergies to speak of?? That's awesome!

Have a good day - Heidi :)

Run ANC said...

There's a sad hole in our living room where the tree used to be. Sigh. I like the day to read idea.

Bea said...

No no no! Start with Pride and Prejudice. Or maybe even Persuasion. Emma is the most-often taught of Austen's novels because it does interesting teachable things with puzzles, but for pure enjoyment of reading I place it considerably lower than the others I've mentioned.

Anonymous said...

First of all, listen to B&P. She knows of what she speaks. Pride and Prejudice -- go there first.

Second, I want to see Twelfth Night. Of all the plays I most want to see on stage, that is it. So invite me when you get cast.

Emily

Mary Beth said...

One of the prettiest things is seeing people's trees through their windows - it makes the houses look so warm and inviting. Ours is coming down this morning, and I am replacing it with bookcases to hold some of the books I have piled up.

BTW, I'm glad that cat didn't suck you in, in any way:)

Beck said...

You DECORATE FOR MARDI GRAS! Oh, you're my hero. Please post lots of pictures.

Rima said...

PM, I've never read anything by Jane Austen, either. I have no idea how this happened, because I was and English major in college!!!! I'm going to see what you think of it, and go from there ;)

Rima said...

AN English major.
Ahem.

Rima said...

Not a very good one, I guess.

Ms. Skywalker said...

That's one of the best parts of being a mom, right? The dreaming?

Creative-Type Dad said...

Mardi Gras? Wow

I hate to see the Christmas stuff go down this weekend. My house will look empty again once more.

Anonymous said...

So, are you going to change your Austen pick? Because I am still planning to post a book list for 2008, and I'd be happy to start with Austen with you for this month. I haven't read any either. I was wracking my brain as to why, but I remembered that the classes I took in college were Shakespeare, Russian and American lit. LMK?

Chrissy said...

Hooray for late tree-undecorating. I just got started on ours today, and now it sits in a pitiful half-dressed state.

Amy Y said...

I love that the cat is already part of your favorite spot. :)
I also love the idea of taking time out to read... I'm totally down with that.
How is To Kill A Mockingbird? Not only have I not read it (but it IS on my bookshelf with 40 other books I really an not wait to get to!) but I have read nothing by Jane Austen either.
Shame on me!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I am SO done with Christmas by Jan 2, that I go into full-on Xmas dismantle mode.

Mad said...

A few years back I got together with some friends and we read Twelfth Night aloud on Twelfth Night. It was delightful--and I know that you of all people would appreciate the delight involved.

BTW, don't forget to read the Just Posts on the 11th if'n you're taking the 10th off to read Austen.

Alex Elliot said...

We're taking our tree down today too. I just have to remember to mention that to my husband :)

Julie Pippert said...

I know, Mardi Gras stuff starts TODAY! I swear everything is getting so drawn out that soon there will be no gaps between holidays so we can look forward to the next one!

We will be unChristmas-ing today.

I love that image of the MQ calling for th cat. And someday she'll know the bard behind the name, not just the cat.

Kellan said...

My girls were assigned "The Kill A Mockingbird" over the summer and so I read it. I had never read it before then - I'm not sure why. I have a huge pile of books I have been meaning to get to - maybe this would be a good time to start on e of those books. Hope you are having a good weekend. See you soon. Kellan

Luisa Perkins said...

I have to agree with Bub and Pie. Emma is short, but it's not the best!

TKAM is one of my favorite books of all time. I don't think I read it until I was at least 30. I've read it several times since then.

Happy New Year, and Happy Epiphany!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Pride & Prejudice first. And when I first read To Kill a Mockingbird, I was forced to back in college. Couldn't or maybe didn't want to understand the book. But after reading it later at my own leisure, found it pretty interesting!

Kristi B said...

I love this idea of going back and reading the classics! the ones that (a) you barely remember reading, or (b) pretended to read in college (and instead fudged the exam using Cliff Notes). I read a few after college that I absolutely adored and wondered why I didn't both in college? alas, maturity does wonders, doesn't it? p.s. we decided since we were gone for most of Christmas break to leave the tree and decorations up until Jan 15th. I love being able to enjoy them!

niobe said...

What everyone else said. Do not read Emma first. P&P is definitely the way to go.

Victoria said...

Aw - the image of your little one yelling kitty's name is sweet. =)

soccer mom in denial said...

I didn't read To Kill a Mockingbird until I was 36. But glad you are reading it.

And thanks for jumping on the band, errr, book wagon.