Friday, December 12, 2008

The Big News

Kat is pregnant, and her post about "The Reveal" (and the picture of her husband should not be missed...)had me thinking about when I found out I was pregnant with The May Queen.

It was my first month off the pill, and I wasn't holding my breath. The day before my period was supposed to start was a Saturday, and I flew to New York City to do some publicity performances for the book of plays with me on the cover. I remember that night at a restaurant on Staten Island wondering whether or not I should order a glass of wine. I didn't.

The period didn't come. It didn't come. Then, several days later, I had some minor cramps. Ah, here it comes I thought. I had a glass of wine at a reception. It still didn't come.

Our little publicity tour ended and I went to stay with a dear friend just outside the city for a few days. I came down with a serious stomach bug that I had caught from another cast member and stayed home all day while my friend went to work. I walked to the drug store and bought some pepto bismal and a pregnancy test. It was Friday. I was 6 days late.

When my friend came home from work I told her I was pregnant. She cried. She immediately bent over and began whispering through my belly to the unborn child. To this day she will not tell me what she said.

I wanted to tell The Big Guy in person, and when I talked to him on the phone the next day I kept the conversation short. I was near to bursting with wanting to tell him.

On Sunday I flew home. At this point I had known I was pregnant for 48 hours, and only my friend knew. The Big Guy picked me up from the airport. But I didn't want to tell him in the car. So I waited until we were home (that may have been the longest 20 minutes of my life). And standing in the tiny kitchen of the house we were moving out of in a week... I looked in his eyes and told him we were going to be parents.

***
This Monday's Mission (and tell me, why wouldn't you accept it?) is to write a post in the style of a song (rewrite the lyrics to a familiar tune) - one of my favorites from my early days of posting (click on the link to see last year's entries).

12 comments:

Kat said...

Aww, PM, that is such a wonderful story. I love hearing the "how I found out" stories, and this was a great one. :)

Thanks for the shout out! ;)

Rima said...

What a sweet story, PM! I know so many women who thought they had a stomach bug, only to find they were expecting.

Amy Y said...

THat was lovely!

Woman in a Window said...

That whispering into the belly has me crying. Some days because of my quick emotional turns, I wonder if I'm not permanently pregnant!

Shana said...

Lovely post : )

I am a NOLA native living in the pacific northwest now and found your blog while searching for Louisiana snow photos. Thanks for posting yours!

Girlplustwo said...

what a lovely story, friend.

Jen said...

Wonderful tale!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what she said!!! You have to have her write that in a letter for the May Queen to open when she is pregnant for the first time.

What a wonderful story, and congratulations!

ewe are here said...

Great 'how I knew, how I told him' story. I always enjoy those. :-)

Aunt Becky said...

Always one of my favorite type of posts to read. Thanks, duder.

Chantal said...

Sniff, that is so beautiful!

carrie said...

Aw, such a wonderful memory!