Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Welcome, Jesus

One of the things about Christmastime that I love is hearing the Christmas songs on the radio. I find it astonishing to hear the old hymns and such great theology, linking the reason we celebrate Christ's birth to his earthly death, on the radio. Nonstop. (OK, in between "Baby It's Cold Outside" and the ever manipulative "Christmas Shoes")

But tonight a song, much newer, was sung during worship, and I think it just says it all for me (particularly the last bit... gets me every time) ...

Tears are falling, hearts are breaking
How we need to hear from God
You've been promised, we've been waiting

Welcome Holy Child
Welcome Holy Child

Hope that you don't mind our manger
How I wish we would have known
But long-awaited Holy Stranger
Make Yourself at home
Please make Yourself at home
Bring Your peace into our violence
Bid our hungry souls be filled
Word now breaking Heaven's silence

Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world

Fragile finger sent to heal us
Tender brow prepared for thorn
Tiny heart whose blood will save us
Unto us is born
Unto us is born
So wrap our injured flesh around You
Breathe our air and walk our sod
Rob our sin and make us holy

Perfect Son of God
Perfect Son of God
Welcome to our world


Welcome to our World, by Chris Rice


Merry, Merry Christmas to all of you.


5 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Merry Christmas! This is one of those days to be spent with family and loved ones.

kelley said...

Merry Christmas to you as well, thanks for your words of tender inspiration

Kyla said...

I looooove that song. Gives me goosebumps every year.

Chaotic Joy said...

Merry Christmas Maypole. I hope it was Merry and Bright.

thailandchani said...

Ugh! I have to admit that the Christmas Shoes song really grates on my nerves.. as though God would care what kind of shoes someone has.

But I must admit.. I do like a lot of Christmas music, even though I am not part of that belief system. "Oh Holy Night" is my favorite. And, of course, Christmas Canon.



~*