Sunday, December 21, 2008

A letter to the man in red

Dear Santa,

There is no THING that I need this Christmas, and only a few THINGS I might put on a wish list: pants that reach my ankles, an apron, maybe a Wii fit. I'm sure your busy elves could make them, or head to mall and find them there, if that's easier.

But what I'd really like for Christmas, besides the always elusive world peace and 4 extra hours in a day, aren't things you can make in your workshop or buy at the big box stores. They aren't easily wrapped in shiny paper and topped with a bow. I'd like JOY this Christmas. I'd like GRACE this Christmas. I could go for an extra large serving of CONTENTMENT. And how about some LOVE and HOPE, while you're at it. Some FAITH would be nice, too.

I wish, Santa, that you could find a way to give those things to all the people you visit Christmas Eve. That you would slide down their chimney, eat the cookies on the plate, and leave in their place a heaping lot of joy, grace, contentment, love, hope and faith.

But now that I think about it, Santa, it seems to me that the very first Christmas those WERE the gifts that were given. To all of us through all the ages. That those gifts have already been given. But they are lost under the pile of THINGS... and not just the new things in shiny packages under the Christmas tree in December, but the things that fill our lives all year round. The things we use to push away these gifts. To ignore these gifts. To fill the hole that the lack of these gifts has left in our lives.

And so we write letters to you and tell you what we wish for. We long to believe in something so good, so steadfast and so generous as you Santa.

No offense, Santa, but you're a poor replacement for the original star of this show we call Christmas.

As I write this I'm starting to wonder how I might give these things to others for Christmas. I'm not sure I can wrap them up and hand them to them with a smile and a "Merry Christmas," but I'm pretty sure that I know some people who could use some love. And some grace. I definitely know some people who need hope. It won't be easy to hand it to them. It will take a little longer. It will take time and relationship and probably quite a lot of commitment on my part. It will cost more than I'm used to spending, and not necessarily in dollars. It won't end on December 25th. But it will be a gift that keeps on giving.

And Santa? For me? I think that maybe writing this letter was your gift to me. Thanks for the reminder.

I wish you joy, grace, contentment, love, hope and faith. Merry Christmas!

Love,

Painted Maypole
_______________________________________

This post is a Monday Mission. This week's Mission is to write a post in the style of a letter to Santa. Have fun! If you play along, post a link in the widget below:



*No Mission next week! See you in 2009 with a new slate of Missions.

17 comments:

amanda said...

Love this weeks mission, I have been slacking in 2008 and hope to be better in 2009.

Merry Christmas to the Maypoles :)

JCK said...

Loved this, PM! Lovely, lovely. Indeed you captured all that Christmas is about.

I so wish that I could participate, but I'm still feverish and basically a whipped dog...can't even say puppy.

I wish you a wonderful Christmas!

Melissa said...

An excellent letter! Hope he gets it. :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Beautiful! Well done on the end-of-year MM, you finished with your best. Wishing you peace, joy, contentment and love of family surrounding you this season. Merry Christmas!!

MARY G said...

That was just super! Love it. I spent last night frantically doing laundry and did not get anything up, but yours fills my heart.
Merry Christmas and may joy and peace be yours (plus the pants, etc).
Hugs,
M

Beck said...

Oh, gorgeous! I loved this post.
Merry Christmas to you!

kelley said...

I love your reflections and I'm grateful for the reminders of the greatest Christmas gifts. Love your blog. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

Girlplustwo said...

exactly, honey.

exactly.

Run ANC said...

Amen.

(But, for the record, I do still like to get presents...)

carrie said...

I hope Santa is listening! :) Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

If Santa can't pull through, I'm open for advice.

Happy Holidays, y'all!

jess said...

I agree

MARY G said...

I just found out that we have a gluten intolerant guest for Christmas dinner. Reworking the desserts. Muttering.
Hope Santa is good to you all.
Hugs,
M

Sarcasta-Mom said...

A beautiful post as usual :)

My mission is a day late and a dollar showrt as usual, but I just had to do one and add it anyways.

Merry Christmas!

Mad said...

Merry Christmas to you. Peace and joy in the holiday.

Unknown said...

Great letter. Hope it gets through :-) And a Merry, Jolly, Happy, Peaceful Christmas to you and yours!

Woman in a Window said...

This is what it's supposed to be all about, and not just at Christmas. Well done and I hope you get your presents, the Wii, the apron AND all of the love, hope and faith. (Oh, wait a minute. I'm cheating. I know you already got the apron and the Wii and I'm pretty suspicious that you got all the rest as well!)