Monday, November 19, 2007

Something lost, something gained

The May Queen and her friends were ready to leave the boat I had been rocking to run off and play on another part of the playground. I headed back to the book I had left sitting on the bench. On the other end of the bench sat a mother with a baby in a front carrier. As I sat down she apologized.

"For what? It's a public bench."

"My shoulders needed a break," she said, rocking the swinging bench with one foot.

"I remember those days," I said, admiring her baby.

"I just said to my husband 'Look at that mom over there. READING. With four water bottles at her feet. She must have a whole crew here.'"

I laughed. "I only have one, so I invited the neighbors along so I could sit and read. I remember when my daughter was little watching the moms with magazines sitting on benches with a great deal of longing."

She laughed.

"But I was just watching your daughter there with your husband, as they bounced on that platform. The way they giggled. I miss that."

She nodded. Her baby fussed. Too much stillness. "Time to get moving" she said as she got up and bounced her way over to join her older child and her husband at the swing set.

And I went back to my book.

19 comments:

Girlplustwo said...

i want to know more about this - was it tinged in sadness at all, it felt a bit sad reading it, for her somehow.

or you know, i oculd just be projecting.

Jen said...

It's a cycle with kids, isn't it. There are joys at each stage.

Chaotic Joy said...

It's the truth isn't it. With each stage, something lost, something gained. Sigh.

Chrissy said...

Oh, it's so true. We finally achieve the stage we've been longing for, only to miss what we had before.

flutter said...

Oh this has to be such an ebb and flow of celebration and loss, this parenting thing. You handle it with such grace.

Anonymous said...

Just a slice of life that says so so much. Lovely - thanks for sharing.

blooming desertpea said...

There's a time for everything - the only problem is that sometimes when we're in the middle of it, we forget to enjoy it because we tend to look at the others ...

Suz said...

I'm in the stage of envying the parents with books and needed the reminder that this too will pass (too quickly).

Julie Pippert said...

It is bittersweet.

I appreciate the space and freedom I get in little teeny pockets (enough to show light at the end of the tunnel).

And I recall so well the fatigue, that drained feeling.

But something about those tiny bodies, when you are the whole world.

Yeah, bittersweet.

Julie
Using My Words

Jennifer said...

This is just...wonderfully real.

Heidi Hyde said...

That just made me cry a little bit.

-HH

Badness Jones said...

Thanks for reminding me to enjoy sitting here, still nursing this big 11 month boy. Because although it frustrates me sometimes I will sorely miss it when it's over.

Blog Antagonist said...

That's a perfect title for your post! I am mostly content with my boys being older and more independant. But there are days when I miss babies.

niobe said...

Beautifully done. You've captured the moment and the feelings perfectly.

Beck said...

And then when those baby days are gone, they're just vanished. Never to return. It's a funny thing to miss, but oh, I do.

SusieJ said...

I needed this tonight. So much stress, so much I'm trying to get done and so many interruptions. I need to take a breath. Thank you.

crazymumma said...

I am feeling a bit melancholic for those baby days.

For those very little people days.

sigh. I need a puppy I think.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

It never ceases to amaze what each stage brings. :)

b*babbler said...

Ah, another reminder (which I seem to need frequently these days) to just enjoy the moment we're in.

Beautiful.