Sunday, November 18, 2007

I think, but I still need to eat - Monday Mission

They are poor. They are neglected. They are mocked and occasionally pitied. They are considered irrelevant, their field of study dead. They are locked away in towers and thought of as eccentric and unable to contribute to modern society.

They need your help.

Philosophers have families, too. Children that need to eat, regardless of whether their parents sit around all day pondering the first principals of Being.

Please make a donation to
The Unemployed Philosophers Guild. Maybe their children will be able to forge a better life for themselves.

This post is my contribution, as it were, to the Monday Missions, this week's mission being to write a post as a spiel for a real or imaginary charity. If you would like to play along write a post that fulfills the mission and post a link in the widget below.

The Unemployed Philosophers Guild is not actually a charity. They are, however, my Christmas tip to you if you are looking for a gift for your smart, fun and witty friend who does not need another scented candle. Instead may I recommend one of many finger puppets including Jane Austen and Hegel (or get the complete Axis of Evil set) , a giggling Mona Lisa pillow, the John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes T-shirt, or the naughty Shakespeare pillow. I have bought several presents from this site in the past, and now pass on my fabulous find to you. Just browsing through their site is a treat. And every gift I've given from them has been given rave reviews. It is owned by a bunch of philosophers, and they do give to charitable causes; you can read more about it here. I get no kickbacks from this little plug, I don't even know these people. But their catalog came the other day in the mail, and made me smile.

OK... now go read some other spiels...


23 comments:

thailandchani said...

Axis of Evil set. Yes! LOL

Jennifer said...

Oh, that's funny! I love the Axis of Evil set.

Christine said...

that site is too funny! i should do some shopping there!

Suz said...

The Naughty Shakespeare pillow? Who could possibly resist!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Axis of Evil? Absolutely!! :)

Unknown said...

that's fantastic!

Rima said...

I have a few philosopher friends who I'm sure could benefit from the lovely gifts on that site. Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. I'm glad someone is looking out for the unemployed philosphers. (Wait, are there people out there employed as philosphers?)

The website sounds like lots of fun. Especially the finger puppets. The world needs more finger puppets.

Family Adventure said...

Thanks for the tip! Love the mission.

Heidi

Family Adventure said...

Thanks for the tip! Love the mission.

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Are there actually any employed philosophers?

the dragonfly said...

How fun! (And I'm with Emily R: are there any employed philosophers??!)

I just posted mine. :)

Julie Pippert said...

How do I love this...let me count the ways!!

Absolutely AWESOME!

Julie
Using My Words

Unknown said...

okay, I think I linked now. We'll see.

crazymumma said...

ar ar ar. This was funny.

Mad said...

A Mad Hatter pill box. Mmmmmm. I'll need to investigate further. My brother-in-law sent me the "Here's Looking at Euclid" T for Christmas a couple of years ago. Last year, it was the Librarian Action Figure.

Beck said...

I really want that Jane Austen fingerpuppet.

Kat said...

Ah yes. We must help the unemployed philosophers. Good one!
Thanks for the links! So fun!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant job!! You do so well every time. Who would have ever thought of a naughty Shakespeare pillow?

Badness Jones said...

Thanks for finishing my Christmas shopping!

carrie said...

Well, anywhere you shop has got to be good . . .

MARY G said...

I love the site! Great post. Thank you, thank you.
I'm up. Late as usual. Picture me prostrate on the floor grovelling.

niobe said...

Someone gave me the disappearing Bill of Rights mug. I love it.