Thursday, September 20, 2007

Easy Philanthropy Thursday

Jen M over at Get in the Car! has started Philanthropy Thursdays over at her blog - every Thursday she is doing something philanthropic and posting about it. She is encouraging her readers to do the same. I think this rocks! (her first one was selling a diamond ring on ebay - she gave all the proceeds to Habitat for Humanity in New Orleans). Her post today is about buying gifts for others - buying fair trade, from companies that give proceeds to causes, and giving a philanthropic gift in someone elses name. Go check it out, she has great ideas and great links.

The Hunger Site


My philanthropy for the day is a pledge to go every day to The Hunger Site to click on their donate button. (you can see that I've added a link to their site on my sidebar, as well) Every day I can click on this button, and each click will generate ad revenue. All the money they raise from this ad revenue goes towards stopping hunger. It will tell me how many cups of food my one click provides (today it was 1.1 cups of food). Then, I will click on all the other tabs, and do the same thing to donate to breast cancer research, literacy, the environment, saving the rain forest and feeding animals. All of this will take me appx. 20 seconds. I used to do this all the time, and sort of forgot about it until I read Jen's post. So... I am pledging to do it again. If I can take time to read all your lovely blogs, I can do this. It costs me nothing but a very small amount of time.

Will you please consider doing it, too?

18 comments:

Amy Y said...

What a great site! Thank you so much for sharing! I clicked away and will try to remember to put a button on my blog when I get home!

thailandchani said...

I certainly will. :) Thanks for the heads up.


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

Run ANC said...

What a great idea! I can certainly manage a few clicks myself..

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Excellent idea. I just clicked and will repeat!

Jen said...

Absolutely I will do that. How did you get the button? Wouldn't it be great to see the button on every blog we all read?

Yay!

painted maypole said...

you can add the button to your own blog by clicking on the "link to us" button on the left side of the hungersite screen. They provide several different buttons you can add to your own site. Great idea Jen - I encourage you all to add the button to your sites! yay!

Jen said...

Okay - I found it when I clicked. I like that there are several options for buttons!

soccer mom in denial said...

This is great. Thanks for raising awareness.

Luisa Perkins said...

How cool! I'm on it.

theflyingmum said...

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about doing that too.
Also, sorry I didn't get a post up for last Monday's mission - it's a long, boring story.

Anonymous said...

Cool. Easy. Thanks.

Have a great day! :)

Rima said...

I will happily click away. Thanks for the information!

OhTheJoys said...

I'll do it!

Magpie said...

Yup.

Jennifer said...

Oh, thank you for this! I used to do this every day and when I got a new computer, I somehow never got it set up again. But, I will. And I'll post a button on my blog, as well. Thanks for the awesome reminder!

Amanda said...

Did it, thanks. I am in the middle of a neighborhood campaign for the Children's Leukemia Fund. It was incredibly easy to address and write notes to a couple of dozen neighbors. Not a huge response, just one check, but my boss and coworker came to me in the hallway with donations, so I feel incredible. Amazing how good giving, time and moeny, can feel. Thanks for the reminder.

carrie said...

Isn't it amazing what one little click can do?

Christine said...

i'm heading there right now.

you are awesome pm.