Tuesday, September 11, 2007

bloggy business

Last week the very funny lady over at Oh, the Joys awarded me with another Nice Matters award. I already have one of these - the pink flowers growing out of a shoe you see over on the left, but now there is a new one going around that has a woman in her underwear. Um.... I have to tell you that although I understand the aversion to the Victorian looking award, I am a little confused by the woman crawling around in her underwear. What are we, a bunch of dirty old men? Or do we have to temper our niceness with a touch of sex to make it acceptable? I'm weirded out by it. That and the whole future MILF thing, but I'll leave that alone. However, I do believe that nice matters, and I'm a sucker for awards, and I want to graciously accept the award. So, I am trying my hand at creating my own little button for the Nice Matters award, because I don't want to look at some other woman's behind every time I check for new comments.
That is indeed a picture that my beautiful daughter drew herself. What is it? um... I forget. That wasn't very nice of me, was it? Don't tell the awards committee. I am going to award this to Jen M over at Get in the Car!, who, besides being generally nice, has started Philanthropy Thursdays, which are all about getting bloggers to jump into the action and DO SOMETHING, and I can't think of anything nicer. (Wow, I don't think I'm going to get any grammar awards for that last sentence. Sorry). Also, to Allison over at Soccer Mom in Denial who calls her husband Amazing Guy. Doesn't that just say it all?


Also, I am now part of the August Just Post Round Table. Someone (whoever you are, thanks!) put in my posts I know what it means to love New Orleans, a love letter to NOLA, and False Hope, which started off being about Barack Obama and ended up being about abortion (??? how do these things happen ???). Please check out all the Just Posts, which are posts from around the globe that are about issues of justice in our world. I have not made it through all of August's posts yet, but they are always worth your time. You will laugh, cry, and want to DO something. I am honored to be part of them.

And while we are on bloggy business, may I make a suggestion to ya'll? When you leave a comment, please somehow leave behind a clear way to know who you are. Having a neat little picture does this, or your blog name. My apologies to all of you who are named Jen, Jennifer, or Emily but when you just leave your name - I'm not always sure which one of you it is. And this is problematic if you are a new visitor to my site, because I REALLY do want to come and visit YOUR site, but I have been known to not notice a new visitor because they have the same name as another bloggy friend. So please, if you could, leave behind a clearer trace of who you are with a distinct picture, or your blog name, or some other identifying factor. Because I would hate to miss the chance to find you. And to know who you are. I know, I know, you have probably had this problem since grade school, this everyone having your name. But be grateful. As my mother always says to me "I could have named you Dorcas."

26 comments:

Mad said...

I love the button. I didn't see the nekkid one but I likely would've had strong opinions about it. My strong opinions often get me into trouble. Alas. BTW, "Painted" is a much nicer given name than "Dorcas." Yay mom!

Amy Y said...

Great button! I don't know your real name, but I'm sure you don't look like a Dorcas. whew! :) Glad you dodged the bullet on that one! :D

Girlplustwo said...

your posts were terrific - i am so glad you are part of it.

and yo, i am jen...just jen. :)

Julie Pippert said...

Oooh I like your button design! Cool!

And...thay's why I link and add in my blog name LOL. Snoskred put up a post with like 100 reasons you should be doing that and who am I to argue irrefutable logic LOL.

Julie
Using My Words

Julie Pippert said...

P.S. That's because there are almost as many Julies and Jennifers.

P.P.S. Okay Rumplestiltskin...now you have eliminated Dorcas from the list for those readers who are keeping one LOL.

Julie
Using My Words

Run ANC said...

Love the button! Can you tell me how to make one? I am so computer un-savvy, but I do love to design things. (That's why my blog banner keeps changing..)

Much deserved award!

Rima said...

Hmmm, I see what you mean about the naughty nice button. The one you created is good "middle" ground. Not being very creative or ambitious, I used the naughty one on my site, but I hope it won't keep you from dropping by!

Chrissy said...

The first post I read from your blog was the letter to NOLA. It was beautiful and touching, and obviously I've kept coming back ever since. Congrats on your awards. They are well deserved.

I like the way Julie has her blog name under her signed name,but I couldn't figure out how to do it. it's in my profile. I don't have a picture yet either. No one is more un-savvy than me. Is there an award for that?

thailandchani said...

I share your uncomfortable feeling about the plaque with the underwear. :)

I suspect we are fairly similar in our reservations.

Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

Emily said...

Congrats on the awards. Those are certainly deserving posts!

Thanks for stopping over at Collecting Raindrops.

Dorcas (Emily :P)

Bea said...

I am SO WITH YOU on the name thing!

And thanks for reminding me of the Sunday school class I taught a few years ago - a room full of five-year-olds, all giggling uncontrollably at the story of Dorcas.

Jennifer said...

Aw, I rather enjoyed being one of the masses of Jennifers. I could post as me, but also somewhat anonymously. *grin*

But, now, look! At your request. :)

(My favorite animal -- a sea turtle. And not only one, but a family of five, just like my family of five. I have to admit, I'm tickled about my new "identity".)

Congratulations on your pretty awards. They are well-deserved!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Just had to tell you that new button is stylin'! What talent. And very cool blog BTW.

Christine said...

a nice award with a lady in underwear? weird. and you deserve this award--especially after what i just got in the mail. Thanks, dude!

running on empty

Anonymous said...

Yay for more awards! You are the best!

But why is everyone making fun of my name? : (

Dorcas

painted maypole said...

Dear Dorcas,

You are named after a leader of the early Christian church. Hold your head up high.

OhTheJoys said...

I think your button is great!

Anonymous said...

I love your button - what a creative daughter you have!
Best wishes

Jen said...

Awww! THANK YOU! I love my button ;)

Jen from Get in the Car!

carrie said...

Cute button! And congrats on the award!

soccer mom in denial said...

Awwww shucks! I'm the original recipient of an award made by you and your artist in residence? I'm so flattered. That is so, incredibly nice.

And I don't like that chick in her underwear button either.

But do tell - what must I do to pass forward this new award?

And congrats on the Just Posts. That is indeed an honor.

Nancy said...

First time visitor, by way of Get In the Car.

I am so with you on the nice undies button and the future MILF? Naw, I'd pass on that too.

Your nice button is perfect ... maybe you could share, and post how to make a button.

~Nancy

Luisa Perkins said...

Congratulations! Nice DOES matter.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Heh, heh. Dorcas. That shall be your name from now on...

Anonymous said...

Your button is ever-so-lovely. I like it much better than the flowery one. And while the undies one does amuse me, it seems perhaps that it would go better with "naughty" than "nice."

(And I'll confess that I was the one who put in your "False Hope" post to the Just Posts. So clearly you have at least one other secret admirer, too.)

Oh, and I'm the alejna who...Wait, how many alejnas are there?

Magpie said...

Damn, I didn't even notice that there was a skantily clad woman in the Nice button that I've got. See how observant I am?

Congrats!