Monday, October 22, 2007

color my world




Rainbow Stripes
Artist: The May Queen

October, 2007



The stripes in rainbow color clearly represent the promise of sunshine after the rain, and are said to be inspired by the rainbow she saw just days earlier crossing a bridge with her mother. The density of the color implies the ferocity of the joy she felt, as well as her indecision about her favorite color.
The May Queen created this artwork when she was heavily into her period of experimenting with patterns. This also overlapped with her "covering every last bit of canvas" period, and her "must use every color available" period.

These bursts of colorful artwork were a welcome change from her previous period of "everything is black, black, black" which produced such famous works as Black Cat, Black Giraffe, Black Car, Black Cinderella, and Black on Black.

Other works produced during her pattern period include Blue, Purple, Blue, Purple - a Halloween stamping extravaganza, and stickers in a line.

This post is part of the Monday Missions over at Flying Mum's place, and also a gift to Her Bad Mother, who is looking to be cheered up from her all day pregnancy barf fest with some artwork.


I will be hosting the Monday Missions again in November. The Monday Missions are a way to get us to try writing a post in a different style (we've recently done this art critique, a restaurant menu, a horoscope, a rejection letter, and a song lyric rewrite, among others. If you have a suggestion for a future style let me know. I'll post the styles for November some time next week. OH. Monday Missions give you great ideas if you are trying to post every day in November as part of that evil carnival that shall not be named. Hint hint.

30 comments:

theflyingmum said...

At first I thought oh, I should post a picture of "Dried Bits in Carpet" but then I thought - it might only add to the barf-fest over at HBM. This is WAAAAAY cheerier. Thanks!

ewe are here said...

Very cheery :-)

Anonymous said...

Hehehe, very colorful!

theflyingmum said...

PS, You're on for November! Whew! (I am struggling to come up with topics)

Aliki2006 said...

I think the rainbow picture is amazingly well-done--very precise stripes! I love it...

Kat said...

So pretty and cheerful! Love it! And I like her use of space. My boys draw one line and want another piece of paper.

Jennifer said...

Now that's a rainbow! I think MQ's piece would hang nicely next to the Monday Mission posting I did with the latest from my Tess, no? Their work could tour together. Hee.

Amy Y said...

You should frame that! Beautiful!

Suz said...

This is fun! I like her artwork. Right now, the boys are working on perfecting "random marks on every surface of our home." It's lovely.

thailandchani said...

You could always try a dialogue. That might be an interesting way of trying to convey a message. :)

~Chani

Rima said...

PM, what a fascinating review of some truly exquisite artwork!

I've been forgetting about those Monday Missions. Will try next week.

crazymumma said...

beautiful.

kids make the best art.

Catherine said...

Lovely! I'll put in an order for a 8x11. :)

Chrissy said...

It is lovely enough for any art museum. What a cute idea for a mission. I've been meaning to attempt one. Maybe in November!

Christine said...

this is so lovely it inspired me to put up a little rainbow at my place. . .

Unknown said...

I love it! And must have taken a ton of patience on her part!

niobe said...

And the colors are even in the correct order.

Girlplustwo said...

i love that. i think we should set up an online auction and raise $$ for charity, all our kids art.

Family Adventure said...

I think it's beautiful. And the review is extremely well written! :)

Heidi

carrie said...

That is beautiful. I hope it gets a very special place in your home!

Be Inspired Always said...

Very cute :)


She's got some artistic talent.





Jillian

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. And, I'm sure a welcome respite from the black phase. (we just had to go through three boxes of crayons to find a black. what happened to the others?)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh so talented at such a young age! That's a framer!

b*babbler said...

I love these Monday Missions. I haven't yet attempted, as I just don't feel creative enough, but I love reading the results.

The May Queen's work is just lovely!

Emily said...

I like the pattern period. May Queen and I think alike. I too have my black on black days.

alejna said...

How striking and evocative!

Plus you've written a brilliant review. I especially appreciated the summary of her past works and recent experimental phases.

Heidi Hyde said...

So who are her influences? I'm assuming Picasso- but do I detect a hint of Van Gogh as well?

-HH

S said...

I really like that piece of artwork! It's so soothing.

And of course -- your review of it was brilliant.

MARY G said...

There is an artist with integrity of vision -- not to mention an admirable attention span.
You're a queen for taking on the MM's again. Those of you (like Flying Mum) who go the extra mile are a precious bunch.
Re the missions -- how about writing a spiel for your favourite charity -- serious or spoof? I'm going to try to get back into them, although the November marathon turns me pale just thinking about it.

Julie Pippert said...

I love kid art work, love what it reveals about childhood and that kid in particular.

Gorgeous!

Julie
Using My Words