Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Skimming the fat:: Daily Gratitude 18

I'm grateful for a size four.

A SIZE FOUR.

I've lost 23 pounds.

3 pants sizes.

I didn't think it was possible. I never would have thought, frankly, that I had that much to lose.

This summer I came home from camping and put new batteries in my scale. It hadn't worked in months, but my clothes were getting tighter and I knew that I was heading in the wrong direction. The scale just showed me how much.

I decided it was time to get serious. I lost 5 pounds before heading off to a week in Cabo, during which I gained 2 of those pounds back. I wasn't too discouraged, though, I expected that.

Then I discovered Lose It!, a free iphone application that helped me track calories. I programmed the app with my height and weight, and my goal weight. I decided how many pounds I wanted to lose each week, and it told me how many calories I could eat each day. I put in everything I ate, and most of the time the application actually had the numbers. Occasionally I would do a google search and use the function that allowed me to put in my own numbers and create a new food.

Having the numbers in front of me made decisions pretty easy. Hmmm... 12 chips at 140 calories or countless carrots for 40?

I soon realized that the app assumes you sit around on your butt all day. I started putting in all my activity, like housecleaning. It motivated me to be more active... cleaning for an hour could literally afford me a glass of wine in the evening.

And not so slowly, but definitely surely, the weight came off. I didn't exercise per se, because I didn't have time, although I did look to add activity whenever possible. Every other time I've tried to lose weight I tried through exercise and a slightly restricted diet.

Nothing worked like this. Calorie counting. Simple math.

And Lose It! made it so easy. Less guess work. And serious results. The results became the motivation.

When I hit my "dream goal" of 18 pounds, I decided to keep going.

23 pounds.

I still can't believe it.

But all those new pants I bought today? They make it pretty real.

There is one serious downside, though. Care to guess how many companies I've found that make pants in a size four LONG? Here's a hint... you'll only need one appendage.

(I'm slightly nervous about posting this. Let me be clear that I know I was not fat before. I am lucky enough to say that I have never been what a doctor would call overweight. I was on the higher end of a healthy weight, and decided I finally wanted to get serious about seeing if I could get it back down. I am proud of myself, and so share this with you. But I also know that I was born with tall, skinny genes that I inherited from my father. I am, and
almost always have been, grateful for that. I have many, many friends who have struggled for years and years with their weight, and I have not had to deal with it in the same way they have. Weight is a touchy issue among women. I know. For this very reason I rarely discuss it with my friends. Or on this blog.

also... this is in no way a sponsored review or anything. I am simply sharing what worked for me.)

8 comments:

imbeingheldhostage said...

This was so hard to read-- after you put the link to the free app, I showed great willpower to finish before running, screaming to their site.
I have kind of liked being able to buy pants that fit in the length as well as the waist since since in my thinner days I always looked like I was waiting for a flood. Why do manufacturers still insist we all have the same body?

Congrats to you and your teeny size four!!! You go girl (I'm betting boots weren't a challenge for you calves) :-)

kayerj said...

congratulations! What a clever idea. Those phones are getting smarter all the time.

Chrissy said...

Great Job! I've always heard counting calories is the best way to go. Now I need to get an iphone...

Rima said...

That is AWESOME! I followed We1ght Watchers for awhile last year and that was the only way I was ever able to lose weight - because I had to track everything I ate and became very familiar with just how many calories different foods have.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N4luZBxeLc

Kat said...

Ha! I know what you mean about being tentative in posting this. I have a similar post (though I've only lost a few pounds and still have 20 to go) but I'm not sure I'll post it. ;)

I'm glad you did post it. I think showing how logical eating and healthy habits can really help you loose weight, instead of fad diets that inevitably fail.

Good for you! I am so proud of you! Yeah! :)

Amy Y said...

Good for you!! I'm glad you shared with us. I think you should share before/after pics too so we can gush over you some more! :D

Louise said...

Good for you! But I have to tell you that 23 pounds would be 1-1/2 or 2 sizes for me!