Friday, August 21, 2009

"What a sweep of vanity comes this way"

"[Painted Maypole]'s performance as the older, married woman with whom Guy once had an affair is the highlight of the production."

That's a quote from our review in today's Times-Picayune. It makes me smile. The rest of the review is so-so, it basically says the cast is good, but the play is standard fare for this playwright and the theme is starting to be "monotonous." (Which won't be true for people who aren't familiar with the playwright's body of work) The review is, I think, kinder than it needs to be in many regards, even though it's not a glowing review. But I'll take my kudos, thank you very much.

Last Saturday I was awarded a "Best Actress" Award for my role this past May. The theatre has its own awards, so it's not some big city-wide thing or anything, but again, I'll take my kudos, thank you very much. I wasn't there to accept the award because the banquet was on a Saturday night and I was busy. ACTING. My co-star from that show is coming to see me on stage Saturday night and will be bringing the (apparently quite heavy) trophy to me then.

I don't need the kudos, of course. But it is nice to have people recognize my hard work every now and then.

10 comments:

Chrissy said...

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! I can't imagine one's job performance being reviewed in the paper, oh the pressure. Enjoy your accolades!

Mary Beth said...

Best Actress trophies are like blog comments TO THE EXTREME! Congratulations:D I would think that being singled out like that in the paper would be such a thrill. That is so cool!

Unknown said...

Of course you need the kudos. We all do. In all shapes and forms. it's what keeps us going down the road-- kind of like a truffle hunt for kudos, because after all that means we did something that someone noticed, that made them happy, that for a minute? mattered.

so girl? KUDOS!
and keep it up.

MARY G said...

Oh, lovely!!! Nice to be appreciated.

Chantal said...

Hey Congrats to you! That's awesome.

Rima said...

The highlight of the production! That's commendable! Congrats :)

Cold Spaghetti said...

HOORAY!!! Congratulations!

flutter said...

congrats, babe!!

kayerj said...

congratulations

Louise said...

We don't NEED many things, but sometimes they are nice. So glad your were recognized. (And you have a giant trophy to haul home and find a place to put!)