Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Proof that I am insane

I've just accept a part in play #6 for this season. I'm definitely living up to my blog's tagline: The Adventures of a Thespian Mommy. This show will start rehearsals the week that my current show closes. It will run through May 24th, which will mean that I've been in rehearsals and/or performances for 9 months straight. It's no wonder my house is cluttered.

I'm very excited about this role: it's a great character who is on stage for all but 3 or so pages of the script. It's a role I've wanted to play since I saw the show on Broadway in 2002, and will no doubt be the meatiest thing I've done all year. Not to mention the fact that I am fast becoming too old to play the part. The play is being produced by a community theatre the next town over, and I'm excited to not have a 45 minute (or more!) commute every night down into the city, but there are some hesitancies as well. It's true that it's impossible to make a living as a stage actor in New Orleans... there just aren't enough theatres that pay enough to get consistent, well paid work. Even so, all but one of the theatres I've worked with in Louisiana have paid at least a little something. It gives me a greater sense of being professional. For this show I know I won't get paid. In fact, since we'll be north of the big lake, I know I won't even get a review (and don't even talk to me about eligibility for the city's theatrical awards). I worry a bit that directors in the Big Easy may not take my work up here seriously. But I know that artistically this will be good work for me... a challenging character with lots of depth in a beautifully written, Pulitzer Prize winning play. Working with people who are doing it for the pure love of theatre.

I think it's going to be a great ride.

By the way, this play happens to be the same play that No Mother Earth just did. She played the other female part. Maybe we should do an international staging of it, and we can play sisters!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah...I saw the movie. I would LOVE to see you in this, but I don't see an April vacation in my future.

Woman in a Window said...

Although the money is always reaffirming (in a weird and twisted way, no?) you are doing what you love. Work it, girl! 6 in a season. Wow!

Kat said...

SIX!!! SIX!!!!
That is insanity. I don't know how you do it.
But man. What a show. Sometimes ya just gotta take it. :)

kayerj said...

enjoy--I see it as "proof" that you are talented and dedicated to your art

Magpie said...

Proof that you are cool!

Mad said...

Proof that you know how to title a blog post with subtlety.

Now if only I could get you and No-Mo here, you could do a command performance for me. MadDad could cast the men in a jiffy I'm sure.

Congratulations. It's a great role and I'm sure you'll do it justice.

Kyla said...

I'd love to see you and Nomo acting together! LOL.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

You are beyond amazing PM. Congratulations, I'm sure you'll DO AWESOME.

Run ANC said...

I like Mad's idea! Let's see what we can work out! Sigh. If only...

I wish I could see it. It IS a fabulous role - paid or not.

E said...

Fantastic. Congrats. You are making a living in a joyful and creative way. Bravo Maypole Bravo!

Alex Elliot said...

That's great!!!

JCK said...

Good for you!