Friday, August 21, 2009

What Jesus Would Do

I am brimming with pride, and a bit of trepidation.

Today the denomination that I am a part of voted to allow homosexual pastors to be in a committed relationship. Previously, if a pastor identified as gay he or she was expected to remain celibate or be "defrocked" (nicely known as "removed from the roster").

This has been a long time coming. Far too long. If you've been around my blog for a while you know that this is an issue that I feel strongly about. You may not know that one of the May Queen's Godfathers left the ministry because of this very issue.

Perhaps if this had come a few years sooner, the church would not have lost a wonderful minister.

But he is not alone. There are scores, perhaps hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who left, or were removed from, or chose to never enter the ministry. The hurt and pain that our previous policy inflicted upon God's children cannot be erased. But perhaps now the wounds can begin to heal.

I'm not so stupid as to think that this will be quick and easy. I do fear that it will break the church. Individuals and even congregations will, unfortunately, probably leave because of this. I hope they don't. I pray they don't. One thing we have always been fairly good at, in my church, is allowing differences of opinion.

But I truly believe, with all my heart and soul, and this move is following in Christ's footsteps. I believe it answers the tired old question "What Would Jesus Do?"

Jesus would hang out with the outcast. He would talk with the scorned. He would challenge the status quo.

Jesus would love.

12 comments:

flutter said...

Jesus DOES love.

Amy Y said...

You are the best kind of Christian, Mama. If I were a believer, I'd want to go to a church like yours. Kudos! :)

Mary Beth said...

Augh! I wonder when these neanderthals are going to come around. You are losing all the compassion and understanding, and in a position of an advisor where you really need it.

A friend of mine is having to set up special legal options for something that should happen automatically because his partner is dying. They have been together $35 + years and have a more stable relationship than many heterosexual couples I know and yet they have to jump through hoops. It's ridiculous and it gets me very frustrated!

JCK said...

That is very exciting news! It may cause some people to leave your church, but a lot of people may surprise you.

This is an issue I feel very strongly about as well. It is essential that we truly practice how Jesus would love. And he loves all God's children.

The church I go to in Pasadena is very outspoken about this issue.

Sending hugs your way! This really is a big deal!

Anonymous said...

Even if some leave, there will be more that come, as their denominations lag behind in reform.

Emily said...

Well said, MP! Progress! Even when it's painful, it is still good.

Creative-Type Dad said...

Some will leave, no doubt about it. But the majority will stay - as they should.

Christine said...

this is wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

how lovely!

Louise said...

Good things CAN be scary!

NotSoSage said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I was initially drawn to Jesus for exactly the reason you state in your second-last paragraph. Unfortunately, I met very few people in all of the churches that I visited who were living that way. I am so, so pleased to know that there are people like you (and others) who are...

MARY G said...

The issue is cracking my church foundations too but I think it has to be done; so good for your folks and hang in there!