Saturday, May 10, 2008

Me and My Girl

For my very first mother's day I decided to get myself a present: a professional photo of myself and my daughter. All the pictures of us together until that point consisted of me with bad hair, no makeup, making a funny face to get her to laugh, enormous bags under my eyes, bad lighting, poor angles, or any combination of the above. I scheduled an appointment, first thing in the morning, when we would both be fresh. I did my hair. I put on makeup. I wore a cute little sweater instead of a raggedy old T-shirt. And I got the best present I've ever given myself. I took it to my mom's group and encouraged other moms to have it done. Many did.

I've kept the tradition up ever since, although I must admit that some years the pictures get taken a few weeks or even months after mother's day. Some are better than others (like the year I woke up with pink eye the day of our appointment, hence the sepia photos!). But I will never regret having them done.


Which reminds me, I better set our appointment for this year.

Happy Mother's Day

(don't forget Monday's Mission: to write a post in the style of a personality test)






26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great. What a good idea.

Where does the blonde hair come from? Your side of the family or your husband's?

Does your husband do a daughter/dad set for Father's Day? If no, he definitely should.

And I'm going to do this upcoming Monday Mission. My first time EVER. But how could I possibly resist?

the dragonfly said...

I've always loved these photos. You two are just adorable. :)

I think I might get photos of me and the Little Mister when we're in the States (I can't believe we leave in ten days!!). I'm going to get his one year pictures done, so perhaps I can hop into a few of them. :)

Run ANC said...

We do that every year at Christmas time for that very same reason (we never have the whole family in one shot because someone is always taking the picture - and it's usually me with the camera so the kids will think I just wasn't around during their childhood)

Great pix!

Magpie said...

Those are really lovely - all of them. Thanks for putting them up.

Kate said...

these are beautiful pictures.

Beck said...

Those are beautiful. I wish I'd thought to do that...

Beck said...

Those are beautiful. I wish I'd thought to do that...

Angela DeRossett said...

Oh I love those!!!! They are gorgeous!

Jen said...

What a WONDERFUL idea. And the pictures are simply beautiful! Happy Mother's Day!

Candygirlflies said...

Back atcha!! What wonderful photos.

xo CGF

Laski said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful tradition!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!!

Family Adventure said...

What a great tradition. I wish I'd spoken with you 11 years ago! Maybe I should start now???

Happy Mother's Day!

Heidi

Kyla said...

I love those! Beautiful!

thirtysomething said...

Oh, such exquisite pictures. Treasures.

Happy Mother's Day!

Tania said...

Such sweet pics! You've started a very nice tradition. I have yet to have any professional family pics taken. Soon though.

carrie said...

Oh, be still my heart . . . those are beautiful.

Have a wonderful day, both of you!

Girlplustwo said...

what a fantastic idea. i love it.

Nora said...

What a great idea! Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Heavens are you beautiful!

Happy Mother's Day.

And I love the new look on your blog.

Woman in a Window said...

What a smart gift to give you...

Pgoodness said...

What a fantastic idea! Think it's too late to start now? My boys are almost 5 & 3!! HEY, and then on Father's day they could do pics with their dad! Ooooh.....

Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

I'm falling short finding words to express how much I just adore this picture of you and your daughter in this embrace. Beautiful.
Happy Mother's Day.

Aliki2006 said...

This is a fabulous idea! I love that first one, and the most recent one--lovely.

Happy Mother's Day (belatedly--sorry)!

JCK said...

Happy Mother's Day, PM!! I love the pictures, especially the 3rd one down. Great tradition. A treasure for your daughter someday.

Aunt Becky said...

Adorable. Simply adorable. I may need to do that.

Amy Y said...

What a fantastic idea!! thanks so much for sharing these lovely pictures ~ you are both so beautiful! :) I know you will cherish these, always.