Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Shifting winds

I haven't mentioned Ike... partly because I'm afraid ya'll are sick of all hurricane all the time blog programming, and also because the storm has turned and isn't headed towards us anymore. Those poor folks in Texas, however... It's nice to feel like I can make some solid plans for the days ahead, and I'm looking forward to 2 auditions this weekend that should actually happen. Thanks, Emily, for asking. And since I'm on the subject of hurricanes: even though we got off relatively easy with Gustav, there are some areas on the coast and also Baton Rouge that got hit pretty hard. No, it's not as "big" as Katrina was, but it's still pretty serious. It's not getting a lot of news play. And obviously Cuba etc. have really taken a beating this hurricane season and could use your help, prayers, and good thoughts.

In hummingbird news: yesterday as our Red-necked Guarder chased another bird away the usurper's beak got caught in the screen of our porch. It baffled me, and our Guarder - who fluttered around him and occasionally pecked him. He did finally get loose on his own, fortunately I didn't have to go push his beak out through the screen, although that would make the story even more funny. Hummingbird rescue! It made us laugh quite a bit, and the hummingbird theatre continues.

As you can see, life is pretty slow around here, what with not having to evacuate and spending way too much time watching the birds. It's rather nice, but not very exciting.

18 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Boring is good.

Trust me.

xoxo CGF

ps. I'm so glad you're safe.

the dragonfly said...

Boring is better than evacuating!! Glad you can stay home..

merinz said...

Then when it is exciting you may well wish for 'boring'. (did that make sense??)

thailandchani said...

Slow is good! I was concerned for a few days there. It was impossible to imagine how that area could take another Katrina.


~*

Emily said...

I'm so glad you guys are in the clear.

Enjoy the Hummingbird Drama.

soccer mom in denial said...

Couldn't agree how nice "boring" and "slow" is after Gustav. Not that I wished Ike onto Texas but I am sooooooooooooooo glad he isn't heading your way....

Kat said...

Being on hummingbird watch definitely beats being on hurricane watch anyday!

Amy Y said...

Happy for you that things are less than exciting... Good luck with your auditions!

Creative-Type Dad said...

That Hummingbird must have been drunk.

Run ANC said...

What are the auditions for? Break a leg!

Chantal said...

Hummingbird stuck in screen! That must have been a sight.

Louise said...

Sometimes it's nice when life is so non-exciting that there is nothing to do but watch the birds. I wish my life were like that more often!

Angela DeRossett said...

Glad things are so boring for you! Much better than a hurricane!

Alex Elliot said...

Boring can be good!

thirtysomething said...

Whew. Glad no evac is necessary. The hummingbird saga is too funny. Stuck in your door? WOW.

( I miss blogging! I have missed out on all you guys...) Oh well, life just gets in the way sometimes...cya!

Aliki2006 said...

Boring can be good--I'm glad all is well!

Woman in a Window said...

I can't imagine a land where evacuation might be a normal thing. Boring is good.

MARY G said...

My hummingbirds (all Rubythroats) have just left, headed for warmer climes. And I will miss them -- a constant source of amusement. I'm so glad to learn you watch them too. And glad you are safe and dry.