Monday, June 11, 2007

nicknames

OK, I suppose it is time to decide what I'll be calling my beloved child when I refer to her on this blog. I'm getting tired of typing "my daughter."

So I thought of the nicknames she gets called. "Baby girl" is a common one, but as she is nearing 5 with astonishing speed, probably not particularly accurate. We also refer to her as "The Wee One," but as she has always been off the charts for her height, also not very accurate in the grander scheme of things. I call her "Puddin' Pop" a lot, but shortening it to PP just won't do. My husband calls her "The Weasel," and if you spend any time with her as she tries to get her way you'll know why (this is also a term of endearment, as otters are his favorite animal, and otters are part of the weasel family. We have also been surprised to meet SEVERAL kids who are called this by their fathers.) But if I'm trying to write something sweet or serious about her, "The Weasel" will just break the mood.

I was about to give up on a nickname and just go with using her initial, when it hit me: If I am the Maypole, then she must be "The May Queen" - or MQ if I'm feeling lazy.

So... I introduce to you The May Queen, a high energy 4 1/2 year old very blond little girl who loves both princesses and catching frogs in our "bog" (read: drainage ditch). She is tall and lanky, and hugs with a fierceness that will topple you over. She is not fond of sharing her things that are "special to me," which includes just about everything except for the dress-up clothes that are "not pretty," which she will readily put in a pile for YOU to wear. Come on over to play!

6 comments:

Bea said...

The May Queen definitely works. It's good to have a theme - now you get to think of as many variations on it as possible so you can use them as sidebar titles. How about "Darling Buds of May" for your blogroll?

PastormacsAnn said...

Thanks for dropping by The Production today. Glad you were able to make it.

I think May Queen is a perfect screen name for your daughter. All my kids have screen names too, mostly based on nicknames they have around here. My baby is 5 now, so I can relate to MQ stories. We just call him, Shorty.

Creative-Type Dad said...

I like "The May Queen"

I use to call my daughter all kinds of nicknames on my blog, I think people thought I lived on a farm.

ewe are here said...

Thanks for dropping by.

The May Queen is a great name; goes well with your own blog name.
I should probably come up with a better on-line name for my oldest, MF, one of these days. And, eventually, Baby Boo will need a more grown-up name...

Run ANC said...

Love the May Queen! You could also call her Queen for short. Very regal.

Oh, and by the by, playing Helena has been a dream of mine too. Although I think I am more of a Katharine. Either one would suit me fine. Actually, doing ANY show right now would be fun.

Magpie said...

Never mind the last comment! Now I know how old she is!

May Queen is nice.