Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Bit of Blarney

I'm back in rehearsal again, this time for a remounting of a show I did in fall of 2006. One original cast member moved away, but otherwise it's the same crew, and it feels a bit like old home week. It's truly an ensemble show, with everyone on stage all the time, and each character has his or her own moment to shine. It's a lovely relief after 3 shows in a row of small parts. It's something that I can simultaneously sink my teeth into, and yet not have to put in hours and hours of memorization and rehearsal, since we're already so familiar with the show.

The show is an interactive one, as if the audience is coming to mourn a death. It takes place in Ireland. (The link will take you to the Wikipedia page about it. I try to never put the names of the shows I'm doing on this blog, so that someone doing a web search for the local production won't find this blog). I play the fiancee of the deceased. In each performance I have to improvise a song, based on a suggestion given by an audience member earlier in the show. When we first began rehearsals for this I was TERRIFIED of the song. But the director and musical director taught me the formula, and now I have quite a good time with it. One of the "rules" that I have to follow is that by the end of the song I get as dirty as I possibly can, and the last word should be so obvious as to what it is from the previous rhyme that the rest of the characters try to cut me off before I can say it (last night in rehearsal my song was about hockey and I was rhyming with the word "puck." You get the idea...). Then, at the close of the song, I mount the coffin. Literally.

High art it is not, but it is great fun.

28 comments:

Chaotic Joy said...

Oh what I would give to see you improving this raunchy song. What fun! Any chance of a video?

Rima said...

That sounds like such a fun production to be in. But even with a formula, I would be petrified of having to improvise a song. Oh, I'd love to see you in that production!

Anonymous said...

what fun.

I wonder, are there no arts in my town or have I just been hanging out with the under five crowd for too long?

Amy Y said...

How fun! I wish I could come watch you perform!

carrie said...

Sounds like good times to me. You'll do great!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Cool! I keep wanting to see Tony and Tina's wedding too, and now, after googling this wake through you, I plan on it!

Luisa Perkins said...

Snicker. I followed the link and loved the title. Have fun!

Mary Beth said...

Now that sounds like fun! Have a ball!

Angela DeRossett said...

Oh how FUN!!! LOL on the 'puck'.

Anonymous said...

I love how you just jump right back in! You are awesome.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Dude. You're AWESOME. Any chance of a video at all? Ever since I saw you in that commercial video ... well, the bar's been raised. :)

Anonymous said...

Puck? Hmm...muck? Ruck? Chuck? No luck?

Kat said...

That is awesome! I love it! Improve is so hard. I don't know if people watching really know how difficult it is. That is awesome. I wish I could see it!

the dragonfly said...

I'm so glad you get to do this show again!! I remember how much you enjoyed it last time.

(Wish I could see it...*sigh*...)

Family Adventure said...

Sounds like a hoot! Wish I could see it!

Heidi

Sarcasta-Mom said...

That sounds like a really great show. Wish I could come see :)

Candy said...

I've done a lot of theater, musical and otherwise, but never had to make anything up on the spot. That would scare the piss outta me.

Go get em!

Anonymous said...

That sounds fantastic!

thailandchani said...

I wish I was close enough to come and see one of your plays some time.

Flower Child said...

Improv! that's really impressive. and singing too? wow.

Chrissy said...

You live a much more interesting life than I do, I'll give you that.

I agree you should post a video. Good luck!

Amanda said...

Oh to be there to call out "Encore."

Ms. Skywalker said...

Now see, in my mind, the pinnacle of high art is coffin mounting.

And for a second, I was a little afraid when I read your title. I was like, "oh shit, she's sunk to doing Barney productions?"

ewe are here said...

You mount the coffin at the end of the song? Hmmmmm.
Can we get this on video? ;-)

Unknown said...

I love it. Have fun with it. And would love video.
have you ever been a part of the show that a fake wedding? That one is MUCH fun.

Alex Elliot said...

I saw that show on New Year's Eve 12 years ago. It was really fun.

blooming desertpea said...

That really sounds like great fun - especially for the audience. Keeping my fingers crossed for you ...

MARY G said...

Getting to hear the song(s) would really, really be wonderful. Sigh. You are one talented person.