Thursday, January 15, 2009

Post rehearsal ramblings

I'm teetering on the edge of Tech Week, but found myself with more time than I'm used to having this week, and so enjoyed (??) digging myself out from under some piles in the office and getting the house into a vaguely presentable shape. I spent some time curled up in a chair with a mug of tea, a cat, and a new bible study. I played games and even the dreaded Polly Pockets with MQ. Next week will be a rush of long and exhausting rehearsals as we add in the enormous sets and costumes, pyrotechnics, orchestra, etc, etc. I get to be a red head courtesy of a wig, so that will be fun, although wigs are very hot and itchy, in case you were ever wondering. The first time I ever had to wear a wig for a show I was all excited that I wouldn't have to do my hair every night. I got over that quite quickly. The magic of the stage will happen in fits and starts and very boring cue to cues, and in a week we'll be putting it all on for an audience, and as long as my wig stays on it should be a fun ride from there on out. Singing and dancing are not my strongest suit, in fact I never dreamed I'd find myself doing musicals again. It makes for a lot more work during the rehearsal process, as none of it comes easily to me. Most nights I come home sore and tired and claiming to be too old for all this craziness, and do you realize that it's been over a decade since I've taken a dance class??? But here I am, in my 34 year old 5'10" and xxx pound glory, being tossed in the air during a dance number for the first time in my life. And to think I nearly turned the show down.

____
Monday's Mission is inspired by the fabulous posts at Ewe are Here wherein she imagines the conversations between her boys as she tries to get their picture. Your Mission is to write a post with photos and give the conversation that goes along with them. The conversation does not have to be between people. Ewe wrote a great post linking to her series. check it out

9 comments:

kayerj said...

I'm up late, because of the itch. So I thought I'd browse a bit. Good luck with the show.

Chrissy said...

How fun! I hope it goes well.

Chaotic Joy said...

I think that is fabulous. What a testimony to your beautiful spirit that you continue to take on new challenges. I should really take a cue from you.

MARY G said...

Break a (metaphorical) leg! I know what you mean about the [censored] wigs. I used to do makeup and costume and in a production of King Lear we had Gloucester's wig come off as his eyes were being gouged out. I think the stage crew was more embarrassed that the actor.
I love the idea of you dancing and being tossed in the air. Please, please try to get a photo! Video? I'm waiting eagerly for the news of how it went.
And if you think I can come anywhere near Ewe Are Here's standard, I have a bridge you might like to buy.

Kyla said...

Sounds like work, but the kind that is worth it and fun.

Woman in a Window said...

You are one fabulous flying muma. Good for you! Wish we could come and see.

Amy Y said...

I *love* musicals!

JCK said...

Oh, I miss those theater days... It is so much fun to read your adventures!

Louise said...

I always wondered if there were special wigs and make-up for actors--ones that didn't itch. I about die every Halloween with the makeup and hat. (I am a witch. A wig is too much for me.)