Thursday, January 8, 2009

auld lang syne

The most fabulous Joy, who will be going underground soon (so visit her NOW!), did this Meme and I'm stealing it.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

I went to Disneyland. I made a snowman with my daughter (in Louisiana, no less!). I joined Facebook.


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

no. i failed UTTERLY at my resolutions, which is why i hardly ever bother making them, and didn't make any this year, either


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Nobody close, but several friends from college who live far away.


4. Did anyone close to you die?

My brother in law died last February, and several friends from church (it was a funeral heavy year for me)


5. Where did you travel?

ROAD TRIP! We drove through and/or visited: Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, West Virginia and Tennessee. We also went to California, Michigan and Acapulco.


6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

more sleep


7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Nov 4th. Yes we did!


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Having a child, a husband and a cat in my care and not causing serious injury to any of them.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I really feel like I've been letting a lot of things slide the last several months. Not big things, but too many little things falling through the cracks.

10. What was the best thing you bought?

I might have to go with new jeans. That go PAST my ankles. Very exciting.

11. What song will always remind you of 2008?

I can't think of one, and this is weird for me, because I used to be very connected into music, and I feel like I'm not as into it right now. (although the other night, so technically it was 2009, The May Queen was in her bed singing Angels We Have Heard on High, and it went sort of like this "something something something something Glooooooooo -oooooo-oooooo ria (long pause) in egg shells (long pause) see day-o" The Big Guy and I were in our room across the hall stifling our giggles. (she gets the "something something something" from me... I will sing that for parts of songs I can't recall)

12. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Creative projects

13. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Sitting in front of the computer. I need to find a better balance with this.

14. What was your favorite TV program?

Last year's season of Lost was great.

15. What was your favorite movie?

Oh, i see so few these days. I don't remember any that were amazing, but I did really like Juno and Australia.

16. What was the best book you read?

To Kill a Mockingbird (how did I get to be 33 before I read it? No idea. But it was fantastic!)

17. What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying?

Close friends nearby. I have lots of friendly acquaintances, but not a close friend nearby, and I really feel that hole. I keep wanting to cultivate it, but it just never seems to happen.

18. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

The year I decided to branch out from the same cut of jeans I've worn since college.

19. What kept you sane?

I'm not sure that anything did or could.

20. Who did you miss?

Way too long of a list... I have too many friends and family that are scattered about.

21. Who was the best new person you met?

That's a tough one. I worked with several people in the various shows I've done this year that I really enjoyed. But then again, maybe it was The Little Mister.

(there we are with The Dragonfly and her Little Mister! isn't he CUTE!?)

22. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2008.

That a three week road trip with my family is highly enjoyable.

23. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I've got nothing for this one. No overarching theme becoming clear, no soundtrack playing in my mind. I've been mulling it for two days. Crickets.

15 comments:

Barrie said...

Oh, how fun. I loved your answers. And Happy New Year!

JCK said...

LOVED your daughter's version of the song. And your giggles.

LOST is back on the 21st! You need to check out Life on Mars, too.

It struck me that you did a lot in 2008!

Kyla said...

I love reading these!

I second the Life on Mars reco. It is the only show Josh and I agree on, and that's saying something!

Amy Y said...

That's a great photo! So glad you got to spend time with your friend... and yes, that Lil Mister is freaking adorable!

ewe are here said...

Sounds like a great year... especially the roadtrip!

Chantal said...

Great idea. Happy New Year to you!

Mad said...

Are you wearing the new jeans in the picture. BTW, I would KILL for long legs. OK, maybe not kill...

Chaotic Joy said...

YAY! I am so glad you did this. I loved reading all your answers. Did it take you forever? It did me. I think it is absolutely fabulous that you actually enjoyed a 3 week road trip with your family. And I'm jealous you got to meet "The Little Mister" He is so stinkin cute.

painted maypole said...

mad - yes, those are my favorite new jeans

joy - yes, I worked on it for 3 days, and had planned to link some of my answers to previous posts but then just decided "oh, it takes to much time and no one ever clicks on those links anyways!"

JCK and Kyla - my husband started watching life on mars, and gave up on it. i never tried it.

Antropóloga said...

I definitely have nothing on the song lyrics, either. Unless it's something from Raffi?

Rima said...

Isn't that how everyone sings "Angels We Have Heard On High?" LOL!

Magpie said...

I'm exhausted. But I think you had a good year. :)

Woman in a Window said...

oh man, I was waiting for the something, something for that song lyric.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Mary Beth said...

You definitely had a jam-packed year (summer) and how could you pick anyone over the Little Mister?

Louise said...

I love to read these when they are from people that interest me.

#5--WOW!!!!!
#21--I'm jealous!