Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mission Impossible?

I have this propensity to "volunteer" for things I never meant to do. This sometimes ends well. I'm hoping this one does.

When I first started blogging (in June! Oh so long ago!) several of the blogs I read would have these "Monday Missions" posts. I remember in particular a week when everyone wrote a poem. Hmmm... I wondered what this was all about (I was new, and slow on the uptake). Finally, I discovered that they were being motivated by Jennifer. As luck would have it, I found this out on the last day she was hosting the Monday Missions. I posted a comment somewhere along the lines of "can anyone participate? or is it over?" At least that's what I remember commenting. I suppose I could go back and look. Anyhow, a week or so ago Jennifer e-mailed me, about how I had offered to HOST the Monday Missions. Ummmmm...... So I looked into it a bit. They were started over at the garden of nna mmoy as a way to encourage people to write their blog posts in a different style. Looked like fun. And I'm a sucker. So I said "what the heck, sounds like fun" and agreed to try to host these babies for the month of September.

So, in a nutshell, Monday Missions are this: Write a post in the style for the day. Be creative. Make a link back to here, and let me know, and my post will link to all of your Monday Missions posts (I could use some help on suggestions for how to do this... I would love to do a Mr. Linky kind of thing... if it won't cost me anything, because I'm broke! Any help from fellow bloggers who have done this kind of thing greatly appreciated) I'll put up a reminder a day or two beforehand (sort of like Julie does for the Humpday Hmmm... series. )

Your Missions, should you choose to accept them, are:
9/3 Song Rewrite (take a known song/tune and write new lyrics)
9/10 Horoscope
9/17 Resume
9/24 Letter of Rejection

Participate in as many or as few as you'd like. The idea is to have fun and stretch your writing style. Cool? Cool.

11 comments:

blooming desertpea said...

Congrats! Good on you for doing this. It always takes some guts to start something new.

Ermmm, having said that, I don't think you'll see me participate though, I'm not that a good writer and pressure makes me choke ... well, never say never ... I might surprise myself! ;)

Anonymous said...

Yay. Of course it will turn out well.

I enjoyed giving it a shot when jennifer was hosting, but because I struggle with deadlines, I passed on carrying the torch.

It's exciting to look forward to, and your Missions are intriguing.

Julie Pippert said...

Hey good for you and thanks for taking it on! I will do my best to participate when I can!

Julie
Ravin' Picture Maven

Jen said...

Thanks for hosting, and count me in! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued. I also stumbled across an occasional Monday Mission post, and like you, wondered if it was something I could do. And like you, by the time I stumbled on to it, it was apparently over. So I'm glad to see that it's on again. How great of you to host it!

Jennifer said...

I participated in Jen's Monday Missions the last time around and though it was quite a challege some weeks, it was a fun stretch. I'll be looking forward to diving in on this go-round as well.

And, um, thanks for hosting. LOL.

Jen said...

I've got a song rewrite from a post that is maybe three months old. I'll do that on Monday.

Thanks for hosting ;)

thirtysomething said...

Hmmm.. pondering. I amy participate. Don't know if my writing would qualify as good enough though.
But good on you for stepping up!

niobe said...

I've never heard of Monday Missions or Humpday Hmmmm...before. Thanks for pointing them out.

Christine said...

these topics are great. if i get the courage to try one i'll let you know.

Mad said...

I've participated in most of these. By late spring I was running out of steam. I'll see if I can pull it out again come Monday.