Sunday, July 1, 2007

baking cookies

The May Queen and I made cut-out cookies this afternoon. It seems as if my learning curve on making these cookies is low. I have learned that frosting them never goes well, and that sprinkles are really were it's at, so we just sprinkle them before they hit the oven. But I always forget to add less butter and more flour if I'm going to roll out the sugary dough and try to cut shapes into it, so for several tries I put the dough on the wax paper, and found I couldn't even begin to roll it out. After adding lots more flour, I could finally get it to roll without sticking to me, the wax paper, and the rolling pin. Then, I always forget that the thicker the dough, the easier it is to get the cookies onto the baking sheet. Finally, by the last batch, I have it down, and I have the perfect thickness for perfectly shaped cookies that transfer beautifully to the tray. So there are a few cookies that actually look like frogs and stars and witches (there are no holiday boundaries when making cut-out cookies at my house) instead of misshapen lumps.

But one thing I never forget, and the May Queen learned very early on:
The dough is the best part. Sneak bites early and often.

7 comments:

thirtysomething said...

I love it! That is so how it happens here with us too. I have zero talent when it comes to cooking/baking, but I love the experience with my kids. Of course, the dough-eating has nothing to do with it at all...

Girlplustwo said...

i love hearing about other people making cookies. it makes me feel warm and cozy.

Bea said...

Pictures please! (Or did you eat them all already?)

Creative-Type Dad said...

I'm craving cookies now...

Catherine said...

Hi Painted Maypole! Thanks for stopping by, it is always fun to make new blogging friends. I never was good at making cut out cookies....but the dough is great. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to chuckle because I go through the same thing making sugar cookies. I'm not a great baker, but I'm getting better.

(I'm going to try to get to the meme today - it's been a busy week: we had an open house, plus four! birthdays in my immediate family and a graduation party.)

Christine said...

man i wish i had a sugar cookie right now.

sounds like you had a wonderful time with the queen!