Friday, May 21, 2010

An Owl on the Side of my Road

I was driving home this evening, about 11:30pm and saw a sight I've never seen in my neighborhood: an owl. The bird was sitting atop a sign, looking away from me. I nearly missed seeing it.

Nearly 2 years ago, around The May Queen's 6th birthday, we had a hawk visiting our backyard. Several commenters wrote about the associations and meanings assigned to hawk visitations. So I decided to see what an owl is supposed to represent.

It may be a symbol of mourning and desolation,"a bird of ill omen".

OK... I'm about to make a move across (up?) the country, and am in a bit of mourning about it. Ill omens are not welcome.

The owl could be seen as a keeper of a spirit, "winging it's newly freed soul from the physical world into the realm of spirit".

As far as I know no one close to me has died today.

According to Native Americans an owl can indicate either insight or deception.

Clear as mud.

Of course, everyone is familiar with the idea of an owl as being wise.

I don't feel particularly wise these days. Rather, I feel frazzled, unsure, and fraying at the seams.

I'm not particularly superstitious. I suppose I can wait and see how things play out and then assign this owl the meaning that fits. Regardless, it was a beautiful and haunting sight, this owl on the side of my road.

6 comments:

kayerj said...

You are moving? What a big change in your life.

Unknown said...

Oh, I' d guess it's the move -it is one of the most stressful life events, right? And you are leaving a place you love, a place you identify with.
Insight and deception are just two sides of the same coin, right? Maybe we have a choice?

Where are you landing on the flip side?

Unknown said...

Oh, I' d guess it's the move -it is one of the most stressful life events, right? And you are leaving a place you love, a place you identify with.
Insight and deception are just two sides of the same coin, right? Maybe we have a choice?

Where are you landing on the flip side?

Kat said...

Hmm. Maybe it wasn't a sign at all. Maybe it was just an owl looking for a mouse to kill. ;)

Keep your head up. God has a wonderful life planned for you. :)

Rima said...

I've heard of owls as protectors (although I can't remember where.) And my favorite piece of artwork is a black and white Japanese print my husband got me as a gift - it's an owl watching over a girl with a single red earring.

You will be OK!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Wow, it's so obvious, I can't believe you didn't see it. It's probably just Owl Post-- you may want to check around and see where he left your letter. ;-)